Sunday, July 11, 2010

2010 U.S. Women's Chess Championship

R2 results:

Foisor/Rohonyan 0-1
Baginskaite/Zatonskih 0-1
Krush/Abrahamyan 1-0
Melekhina/Marinello 1-0
Zenyuk/Marshall 1-0

The streak of all-decisive games continues.  GM Nakamura, who has done commentary the first two rounds of the Women's and Junior's Championships, seems somewhat perplexed and, perhaps, even astonished by this.  But darling, it's just women's fighting chess :)  He's just not had much exposure to it, the young'n. 

Not sure about this since the standings after completion of R2 have yet to be updated at the official website, but I think things stand (in no particular order):
Zatonskih 2.0/2
Krush 2.0/2
Melekhina 2.0/2
Zenyuk 2.0/2
Abrahamyan 1.0/2
Rohonyan 1.0/2
Foisor 0.0/2
Marshall 0.0/2
Marinello 0.0/2
Baginskaite 0.0/2
I can't believe I have to work tomorrow - yech - not when Krush and Zatonskih are facing off against each other in Round 3!  Melekhina said in her post R2 comments that her game tomorrow with Abrahamyan could decide which way the Championship will go for her.  I'll be trying to take peeks at the live action while I work, and will have my headphones on, but honestly, the office isn't the best place to follow what's going on, LOL! 

There's a long way to go yet.  I do not expect Baginskaite, Foisor, Marshall or Marinello to stay at 0.0 for the next 7 rounds.  Can Zatonskih repeat?  She doesn't seem so sure of herself this time around.  Krush, Melekhina and Zenyuk seem in fine form, but can they maintain the pace?  I think Abby Marshall is a wild card.  I think she's much better than her results have shown thus far, and she could catch fire at any time, causing some upsets.  I agree with Melekhina - my gut tells me her game tomorrow with Abrahamyan will be important, in ways I'm sure I haven't even thought about! 

Exhaustion will take its toll as the rounds grind on, even with one free day.  Being a 'spectator' is hard enough watching from 2 p.m. through beyond 6 p.m. as has been the case the past 2 days.  I can't even begin to imagine sitting down and playing such intense games as a Championship for 9 straight games, up to 6 hours each day, and then trying to prep for the next day's game and get a good night's sleep (yeah, right, har!) 

And with that, I'm signing off for the night - at least with respect to chess!  I've updated Chess Femme New's coverage of the 2010 U.S. Women's Chess Championship.  Please visit and give me some stats :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...